Friday, July 21, 2006

the one and lonely

A few weeks ago the New York Times published a story on studies done through Duke University regarding the loneliness of the average American. You can read the article by Henry Fountain here.
Apparently the amount of Americans who have felt "alienated" at times and is lacking in close confidantes has grown considerably since the 1950's.
The article states
"A recent study by sociologists at Duke and the University of Arizona found that, on average, most adults only have two people they can talk to about the most important subjects in their lives — serious health problems, for example, or issues like who will care for their children should they die. And about one-quarter have no close confidants at all.

"The kinds of connections we studied are the kinds of people you call on for social support, for real concrete help when you need it," said Lynn Smith-Lovin, a sociologist at Duke and an author of the study, which analyzed responses in interviews that mirrored a survey from 1985. "These are the tightest inner circle."

I think like all people I get lonely sometimes. Its especially hard when you keep moving and changing schools. However, based on this data, I am considerably better off than the average Americans. I probably have about 6 friends I would consider "close-confidants" with whom I discuss a lot of the most serious issues in my life.
Though it seem there are several factors contributing to this dilemma that the article does not mention. First of all, as globalization expands, people are moving all around the world, there is a lot more long-distance traveling, and unlike 50 years ago, loved ones are often thousands of miles away. Also, the family unit has changed over the last 50 years. In more families, both spouses/parents are working full-time and there is less time to spend together or with friends. All of this traveling, moving about, and workaholicism probably accounts for a bit of this isolation. One of the things I love about my parents so much is that they both limited their hours of work and my dad tried not to have to leave for business too often when I was growing up or even now. I think the longest he was gone was for a month once, and it was only one or two times. In total, he was probably gone on business four weeks in total a year spread out over many months. I was taught that family, the family unit and dynamic, having a close family, was the top priority that came before work and other possible interferences. I really appreciate that my parents gave that to me. So much of life is recommitting yourself to your priorities everyday, and I feel like my parents gave me a firm foundation in realizing that your relationships come first before everything else.
However it seems like in our culture "family" and "friendships" aren't priorities endorsed by the media or many organizations at all. And most do not take "focus on the family" (a right-wing fundamentalist organization) and other family-endorsing organizations seriously. in the case of that organization, its for a good reason. Now we just need "Emily's List"-like organization, moderate, perhaps slightly liberal leaning, in support of family/relationships/commitment as priority. Though I'm not so sure that would work. I guess it would just have to be pitched the right way.

No comments: