Wednesday, March 11, 2009

















Recently a classmate, while discussing Mormonism in the 19th century west, made a rather bigoted comment, but nonetheless, a comment about mormon underwear. He called it "magic underpants". I had never heard this expression, nor had I heard anyone discuss mormon underwear before, so I was intrigued.

So today I was reading an article in Religion Dispatches, an interview with a mormon woman/blogger. When asked what issues about the church bothers her, she first states,

"I am a fan of modesty, but I am not a big fan of the (under)garments, for instance."

and so the article is titled, Not a Fan of the Undergarments.

I wonder what the women on "Big Love" wear to bed..I haven't watched it.

The Church of LDS issued an official press release stating " Garments are considered sacred by Church members and are not regarded as a topic for casual conversation."

Even though I don't think a lot of the religious doctrines and practices make sense, in most religions actually, I feel a bit bad for people in more "out" groups like Mormonism and Scientology whose faith ends up becoming the main plot point of hundreds of jokes across the internet. I think all of the atheists, agnostics, seculars, and those who practice more "conventional religions" who make jokes about people in more obscure or seemingly "silly" faiths need to learn a little respect and empathy. I remember growing up an evangelical christian and some of the jokes and comments more secular friends made really were hurtful at the time.

So if you are interested in reading more about the spiritual and religious significance of the underwear/"garments" in Mormon faith, one can read about it here: http://www.mormon-underwear.com/

Apparently wearing such underwear is a sign of the commitment and covenant you have made with God. I'm still not sure I really understand very well...I kind of wish the website included some instances of scripture references or perhaps letters or statements from church founders.

1 comment:

Chino Blanco said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.